Title : 빈번한 영작문 15가지 문법 오류 ⑤

13. Comma Splice (컴마의 오용)
A comma splice occurs when two separate sentences are joined with a comma rather than a period or semicolon. Writers often create comma splices when using transitional words, such as however, therefore, moreover, nevertheless, or furthermore. (컴마의 오용은 두 개의 개별 문장이 종지부호나 세미콜론이 아닌 컴마로 결합 될 때 발생합니다. however, therefore, moreover, nevertheless 또는 furthermore 등과 같은 전환어를 사용할 때 이같은 컴마의 오용을 만들게 됩니다.)
Ex. My intention was to take her out to dinner, however I decided not to invite her after all. (X)
→ My intention was to take her out to dinner; however, I decided not to invite her after all.

Ex. My sisters and I love to go shopping, we then have lunch together when we’re done. (X)
→ My sisters and I love to go shopping. We then have lunch together when we’re done.

14. Colon Mistakes (콜론 사용의 실수)
A colon is used after a complete sentence to introduce a word, phrase, clause, list, or quotation. The colon signals that what follows proves or explains the sentence preceding the colon. (콜론은 완전한 문장 뒤에 단어, 구, 절, 목록 또는 인용문을 소개하는 데 사용됩니다. 콜론은 뒤에 나오는 내용이 그 앞의 문장을 증명하거나 설명한다는 신호를 전달하는 것입니다.)
Ex. People move to Florida for: the warmer weather, the beach, and the theme parks. (X)
→ People move to Florida for three reasons: the warmer weather, the beach, and the theme parks.

15. Split Infinitives (분할 부정사)
An infinitive is the word “to” with a verb. A split infinitive separates the word “to” and the verb with another word (often an adverb). There are no grammar rules that prohibit split infinitives, but many experts disapprove of them. If the sentence sounds awkward by correcting the split, our rule of thumb is to go with what makes the most sense in the context of your writing and for the ease of reading. For example, “To boldly go where no man has gone before” would sound awkward and less powerful as “To go boldly where no man has gone before.” (부정사는 동사와 결합한 "to"를 의미합니다. 분할 부정사는 부정사 "to"와 동사를 다른 단어 (종종 부사)로 분리하여 사용하는 것을 말합니다. 분할 부정사를 금지하는 문법 규칙은 없지만 많은 전문가들은 이를 허용하지 않습합니다. 분할을 수정하여 문장이 어색하게 들리는 경우라면, 우리의 경험 법칙은 글의 맥락에서 가장 이해하기 쉬운 것을 사용하는 것이 맞습니다. 예컨대, "To go boldly where no man has gone before"는 "To boldly go where no man has gone before"라는 것보다 어색하고 의미 전달이 약하게 들립니다.)
Ex. She tried to quickly finish the book before she had to leave. (X)
→ She tried to finish the book quickly before she had to leave.

Ex. He wanted to gradually improve his strength by increasing the weight. (X)
→ He wanted to improve his strength gradually by increasing the weight.

작성자 : admin

|

등록일 : 2021-02-01 09:17:59

|

조회수 : 150

답변글

답글이 없습니다.

나의 의견 

윗글

작문 시 혼동하기 쉬운 어휘 정리 ①

아래글

토익 성적이 높은 신입 사원의 연봉은?